Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Open-Source Sound/Record Studio: Introduction

The first project of TechProjectMasters will cover a whole set of 'tutorials'/'tips-and-tricks' about how to make yourself an open-source sound/record station.

For those of you who don't understand why I will make an Open-Source studio: Well.. There are several reasons. First one is price, not everyone has the money to buy all those programs and if you're willing to distribute your music those have to be legal... It's like being a DJ with downloaded music, if they get you, you'll hang!

Second of all because it's just the most rational sollution. Generally we've got three possible systems/OS'es that we can use, Windows, OSX, and Linux.
While most of you will be running windows it isn't really suited for recording. It has really big latency (yes I know we're talking about ms but it really matters). The second option is OSX, which can only be installed on a way to expensive Apple  computer (and I believe everyone should have the change to do it). And as for linux, well, it has special low latency drivers, it's free, it's as advanced or simple as you want, and best of all: I'll show you HOW TO INSTALL LINUX AS A PROGRAM in Windows and still use it as a stand-alone OS. (And I love Open-Source software)


Now I'm saying sound/record station because I will handle  both live performance and recordings. I'm gonna try to handle the whole project from start to end. But please feel free to experiment... And if you find something intresting please post it hear. All tips are usefull and it might just be the solution for someone else here...

Now to give you a better idea about what I'm going to cover in the tuts I'll list it out for you:
- How to set up your physical installation.
- How to set up your verry own Linux Record Station
- How to work with it
- How to rerout internal audio
- How to record either 1 or multiple tracks at the same time
- How to make your own music with a computer
         like I said both live and for records, with a whole load of programs
         from drumcomputers over sequencers and synths to studio software
- How to convert existing music
- How to use a mixer (physical and virtual as they don't really differ)
- How to do a good recording
- How to connect a MIDI device
- How to use your joystick as a MIDI device
- How to setup your midi device

Now, if you think that is a lot, just remember I'm only starting..
The real fun starts after this as I'm going to tell you how to make/build your own:
- Audio mixer
- Microphone or input device monitor (without a computer to avoid latency)
- Super Cheap MIDI mixer (I'm hoping to get it tall made for less then €20 or 27$. 
- Advanced MIDI studio mixer with LOADS of inputs.

Now as you might see, I'm not going to cover all of this in 1 post. To be honest with you I don't even know everything from the above list, but I'm sure I'll figure it out by the time I need it.

I will not do these tuts in this line-up. the reason for this is that the whole project started because my girlfriend wanted to sing again, as her project will have different needs true time I will give those priority.

So, if you are interested in this don't forget to subscribe. Just use the RSS feed and stay in touch while the project progresses



Woutervddn
TechProjectMasters

No comments:

Post a Comment